Information request about Tinygettext

Information request about Tinygettext

Postby Gallaecio » 28 Sep 2013, 13:17

Hi guys,

I’m working on internationalization for 0 A.D., and I’ve used tinygettext for this. I would like to know some things, in order to decide how to manage this library in regard to 0 A.D.

• Do you know if Tinygettext is maintained? The project seems dead judging from the Google Code page.
  • Does SuperTuxKart use a custom, forked version of Tinygettext, or do you use the upstream, unmodified library?
  • If you did fork it, why?
  • If you did fork it, and the original project is dead, would you be open to move your code to a repository where you can maintain it and accept outside contributions?

I’m looking for (as I guess you were looking for when you selected —or created?— Tinygettext) a C++, object-oriented implementation of Gettext, and Tinygettext is the only one I know of. I would prefer not to fork it, but rather to send any fix or feature to a common place, so that other projects can benefit, and I can beneffit of fixes and features implemented by others as well.

I’m not completely aware of the history of Tinygettext, and as you can see I have no idea of its current status. I see there is an open issue about licensing in the Google Code project page: http://code.google.com/p/tinygettext/issues/detail?id=4 . I’ve read it and the mailing thread in your mailing lists in thsi regard, but I still do not know what the current status of the library is, upstream or in your repository.
Gallaecio

Re: Information request about Tinygettext

Postby acme_pjz » 28 Sep 2013, 17:26

Hi,

Doesn't 0 A.D. use boost? I think there is already a po/mo reader in boost.
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby Auria » 28 Sep 2013, 20:42

Hi,

yes last time we checked tinygettext was unmaintained. However I am unusure it really needs maintenance at all, since it works pretty fine as-is. We have applied a few minor patches to our tinygettext, but nothing very big from the original (fixing typos, fixing warnings, minor tweaks to the list of languages, etc.)

I am unsure our changes really warrant creating a new repository though
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 30 Sep 2013, 00:34

Hi,

Gallaecio {l Wrote}:
  • Do you know if Tinygettext is maintained? The project seems dead judging from the Google Code page.
  • Does SuperTuxKart use a custom, forked version of Tinygettext, or do you use the upstream, unmodified library?
  • If you did fork it, why?
  • If you did fork it, and the original project is dead, would you be open to move your code to a repository where you can maintain it and accept outside contributions?

Auria already answers most of it, but just to be sure: we included the sources in stk (I wouldn't really call this a fork), since we had to do some changes, most only to get tinygettext to work with our infrastructure (like listing files, logging errors). There were some minor bug fixes (check our repository for details, e.g. related to using case insensitive file systems).

We don't want to maintain a separate repository, so we leave it in stk. Also, in its current form (in our repository) tinygettext relies on some STK infrastructure for logging, file handling, which in turn depends on irrlicht, so it's not that useful for others. But we certainly don't object if someone would do that, and I am happy to help out with any questions you might have, and to submit any patches we have applied. Re license: I am not sure, but since we are gpl anyway, it doesn't matter for us if tinygettext is zlib, bdsl, or something else

I’m looking for (as I guess you were looking for when you selected —or created?— Tinygettext) a C++, object-oriented implementation of Gettext, and Tinygettext is the only one I know of. I would prefer not to fork it, but rather to send any fix or feature to a common place, so that other projects can benefit, and I can beneffit of fixes and features implemented by others as well.

While this makes sense indeed, but we are only a small team, and simply don't have the man power to maintain something on top of STK,

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker