Nightly builds of supertuxkart

Nightly builds of supertuxkart

Postby samuncle » 13 Aug 2012, 22:12

Hello :)

I have made a system that build every night the current revison of supertuxkart. So you can download and test the game without build yourself irrlicht and supertuxkart.

For the moment I provide only linux 64 and 32 bits version

Instruction & download
Last edited by samuncle on 17 Aug 2012, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Re: Nigtly builds of supertuxkart

Postby Static Juice » 14 Aug 2012, 10:49

You got me all excited there, but then it turned out there was no build for Windows. :(
Static Juice

Postby Tuxfan » 14 Aug 2012, 20:38

Woohoo!
I will use this service immediately, if there is a 32 bit version available.
Tuxfan

Postby samuncle » 16 Aug 2012, 00:41

@tuxfan if everything work it will be avaliable tomorow in 32 bits ver
@Static Juice it's also planned but It's a quite difficult to run the builder in windows.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby samuncle » 17 Aug 2012, 11:11

Now we have a 32 bits linux version :)
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby Tuxfan » 17 Aug 2012, 15:16

Thank you very much!
Tuxfan

Postby Tuxfan » 17 Aug 2012, 23:03

@ developers:
Is there a need to test a specific part of STK that should work already properly?
Tuxfan

Postby Auria » 18 Aug 2012, 02:33

Tuxfan {l Wrote}:@ developers:
Is there a need to test a specific part of STK that should work already properly?

at this time not too much, sorry, it's still quite work-in-progress
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Haldric » 27 Aug 2012, 14:19

Hello,
These nightly builds are very interesting. I download the latest and I tested it (especially the overworld). Even if it's not finish, it looks great!

I just have a suggestion regarding Grand Prix: it could be interesting to reorganize current GPs to create one GP by overworld area (one GP mountain, one GP ocean, one technological...). Some areas have only three tracks and it's perhaps not enough (4 would be better) but some add-on tracks are of very high quality and could be added in the official tracks (and included in the overworld and in GPs). I think of the following tracks: Green Valley (for wooden area), Industry (for technological area), Mountain Village (for Mountain area), On The Beach (for ocean area, it's the 5th track in this area but it is a very high quality track I think), On an Iceberg (for mushroom area since it seem to gather all unclassifiable tracks). I didn't find high quality track for tropical area. Hillside could be interesting but it needs some improvements.

samuncle: If you can't make really nightly build, it will be very interesting if you can at least make weekly build.
Haldric

Postby TheK79 » 27 Aug 2012, 20:21

"Mountain Village" is a nice track – for people, who have several thousand laps of experience on other tracks and needing some more challenges… And that's also the problem about your idea: The GPs need to be of some ascending difficulty.
TheK79

Postby samuncle » 28 Aug 2012, 20:05

samuncle: If you can't make really nightly build, it will be very interesting if you can at least make weekly build.

The server doesn't build if the revision doesn't change. So you may have a few days between two nigltybuild. Also my script is in beta and sometime it crash.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby Auria » 28 Aug 2012, 23:49

Rahl43 {l Wrote}:Hello,
These nightly builds are very interesting. I download the latest and I tested it (especially the overworld). Even if it's not finish, it looks great!

I just have a suggestion regarding Grand Prix: it could be interesting to reorganize current GPs to create one GP by overworld area (one GP mountain, one GP ocean, one technological...). Some areas have only three tracks and it's perhaps not enough (4 would be better) but some add-on tracks are of very high quality and could be added in the official tracks (and included in the overworld and in GPs). I think of the following tracks: Green Valley (for wooden area), Industry (for technological area), Mountain Village (for Mountain area), On The Beach (for ocean area, it's the 5th track in this area but it is a very high quality track I think), On an Iceberg (for mushroom area since it seem to gather all unclassifiable tracks). I didn't find high quality track for tropical area. Hillside could be interesting but it needs some improvements.

We did think of this sort of grouping, though one issue (apart from increasing the game size by adding new tracks) is that tracks inside one area are not necessarily of the same difficulty levels, so that could produce uneven GPs
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Haldric » 29 Aug 2012, 08:49

samuncle: ah, ok, no problem, I just said that because I saw new revisions in the repo (using the timeline) and there was not new build. So it probably crashed at that time.

auria: The two sort of grouping have their advantages and disadvantages: with the current grouping, an intermediate player will have very big difficulties to win the GP which have the more difficult tracks. With the grouping by area, GPs will be in a similar difficulty level (no GP with all difficult tracks). So an intermediate player, even if he can have some difficulties in a track, can win the GP.
And, except perhaps the Mountain Village track, I don't find the other tracks I propose very difficult... but it's my opinion.
Haldric

Postby MCMic » 29 Aug 2012, 11:17

Difficulty of GPs should be increasing at each GP, otherwise it's not fun.
So as that was't taken in account when designing levels that goes together (winter ones, and so on), we can't group levels by theme easily.

Maybe we should make a detailed table of levels, with difficulty, length, themes (season, environment, and so on) and see what we've got. (The wiki would be a good place?)
MCMic

Postby Haldric » 29 Aug 2012, 13:06

I am not against an increasing difficulty, but with the new overworld, there is not challenges using GPs and they are not unlocked progressively, so there is no order to have an increasing difficulty.
(However, it would be nice if GPs were unlocked only when all their tracks are unlocked.)
Haldric

Postby Auria » 29 Aug 2012, 23:03

Rahl43 {l Wrote}:I am not against an increasing difficulty, but with the new overworld, there is not challenges using GPs and they are not unlocked progressively, so there is no order to have an increasing difficulty.
(However, it would be nice if GPs were unlocked only when all their tracks are unlocked.)

the reason there are no GPs in there at this time is that they have not yet been added, that's all
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 14 Sep 2012, 23:36

i was trying to install this on another computer and it won't start.
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
Missing default value for 'skid jump-time' in '/home/john/Downloads/STK/data/stk_config.xml'.
(from terminal)
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby samuncle » 19 Oct 2012, 19:55

For those that has downloaded the revision 11699, my script crash. So the data were not totally uploaded. Sorry for inconvenience
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby sst » 22 Oct 2012, 04:06

Did any hope to have Nigtly builds ( x86, x86_64, x64 ) of supertuxkart for Windows ?
(sst)
sst

Postby samuncle » 22 Oct 2012, 20:40

We would like to have some windows version but, for the moment it's very difficult for many reason.

The script that I use can't work on windows.
Windows need a GUI and my server doesn't have a GUI (I don't want to install a GUI).
I don't know windows scripting and API.

A possible solution is cross compiling with Linux. But It require a lot of work.

We can provide some manually built nightlies but an automated builder like the Linux one is not planned.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby samuncle » 14 Nov 2012, 18:16

I have rewrote the build engine, it's now in python. I hope this version will have less bugs and a better stability :).

Now I must rewrite the web interface but this will take a moment.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby monway » 19 Nov 2012, 19:35

I couldn't find a topic about my question however, this thread is pretty close to it. I noticed for mac supertuxkart version 0.7.3 is the same as previous build and does not match ui and game play as the version 0.7.3 on Linux. what gives? Is there a build I'm missing that has the latest game for mac? I'm fine on Debian with the latest installed and it's great!.

Please someone tell me if there was a build number problem on the mac build which the question should be why is the mac build not like the linux build of the same version ? :!: :(
monway

Postby Hero » 19 Nov 2012, 19:45

monway {l Wrote}:I couldn't find a topic about my question however, this thread is pretty close to it.

You can post a new topic in STK General if you want.
Keep your mouth closed while chewing your food! That's ALL I hear.

For more game forums go to opengameforums.zxq.net and register today!
Hero

Postby monway » 19 Nov 2012, 19:49

:lol: Thank you.
monway

Postby Totoplus62 » 10 Feb 2013, 13:20

Where is stkbin_xxx.zip for linux x32 on your website ? I don't find it
http://samuncle.net/wp-content/themes/samtheme/stkn.php
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Features under CC-BY 3.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or equivalent GNU license
Image SuperTuxKart Popularity
Totoplus62