Does STK have in-game cheats?

Does STK have in-game cheats?

Postby woompa loompa » 19 Jul 2016, 09:32

^ As the title says ^
woompa loompa

Re: Does STK have in-game cheats?

Postby MTres19 » 19 Jul 2016, 13:48

Well, there might be bugs, and if you enable Artist Debug Mode, you can fly, but...
MTres19

Postby Auria » 21 Jul 2016, 00:31

Yes, there is artist debug mode
https://supertuxkart.net/Artist_Debug_Mode

with this enabled, you can right-click and give yourself free items
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby woompa loompa » 21 Jul 2016, 10:39

Auria {l Wrote}:Yes, there is artist debug mode
https://supertuxkart.net/Artist_Debug_Mode

with this enabled, you can right-click and give yourself free items

well this looks hacky and just a developers tool. I was thinking of game cheats like, you know, you type some key combination and you get some power up...
woompa loompa

Postby Arthur » 22 Jul 2016, 19:56

Obviously it's a developer tool, why would we make that easily accessible? Makes no sense. The games that typically have had cheat codes are longer games like strategy games where you might just use a cheat to end a five hour long game.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby woompa loompa » 23 Jul 2016, 10:04

Arthur {l Wrote}:Obviously it's a developer tool, why would we make that easily accessible? Makes no sense. The games that typically have had cheat codes are longer games like strategy games where you might just use a cheat to end a five hour long game.

OMG seriously? Are you being serious right now? Cheats are a huge positive stimulus for gamers, especially younger ones. It's like discovering something new in the game, unwrap a gift, or simply add a halo of mystery to grow the player curiosity. There are like thousands of cool ideas for cheats, take these ones for example:

- unlock all tracks
- unlock secret tracks
- unlock secret karts
- change settings in story mode, such as tracks' number of laps
- cancel the slow down effect while off-road, making it easy to cut bends
- infinite boost (no need to pick it up)
- boost platform effect lasts longer (those arrow on the road that speed you up)
- infinite gifts. No need to pick a gift on the street; always get something as soon as I've consumed the current power up
- always win a race even if you end up last (maybe useful in story mode for difficult tracks)
- ... on and on
woompa loompa

Postby Akien » 23 Jul 2016, 10:20

I agree that cheats in STK would be pointless. To you have such cheats in other kart games? Arcade games meant to be played in multiplayer shouldn't have cheats. As Arthur mentioned, cheats are good for long and challenging single player games, not 3 minute long easy races.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby woompa loompa » 23 Jul 2016, 11:34

Akien {l Wrote}:I agree that cheats in STK would be pointless. To you have such cheats in other kart games? Arcade games meant to be played in multiplayer shouldn't have cheats. As Arthur mentioned, cheats are good for long and challenging single player games, not 3 minute long easy races.

If this is the direction that STK wants to take, I can't argue with it. But it's a decision that I totally dislike and disapprove. I hope you will change your mind. Of course this is not a feature with high priority, I know that developers are currently more focused on implementing the networking stuff. But why shut the door to it? Why exclude it completely? I mean, cheats can be used or not, a player can live without or use them.

For your concerns about multiplayer races, cheats can be either disabled or enabled to all players at once (for example if we use the cheat for infinite boost, everybody gets infinite boost).

Regarding other kart games instead: yes they do have cheats. CTR, Super Mario Kart, Angry Birds Go!, Antz Extreme Racing, Atari Karts, Ayrton Senna Kart Duel, Cartoon Network Racing, Cocoto Kart Racer, Crash Tag Team Racing, Konami Krazy Racers, LEGO Racers, Looney Tunes Racing, Mega Man Battle and Chase, NickToons Racing, Sonic Drift, Street Racer, Toy Story Racer, Wacky Wheels, Wacky Races, All of these without even considering GameShark. But even if other games didn't have them, who cares? They are fun, and they would be cool to have on STK.
woompa loompa

Postby XGhost » 23 Jul 2016, 13:43

Enabling Dev Debug Mode is probably easier than any cheat directly built ingame. Why not count it as a cheat? Why should the devs write features we allready have? Debug mode gives you all (well most) features you list above (and more).
Ingame cheats aren't necessary at all. I would rather see a nice and polished, well playable game. That's the road STK will take.
For multiplayer: I'm sorry but your solution is bad in any aspect. Enabling specific cheats for all players is confusing and totally destroys the gameplay. And soon it will be hard to find an online race where nobody is cheating.
Last edited by XGhost on 23 Jul 2016, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
XGhost

Postby Akien » 23 Jul 2016, 14:09

The only fun part in the "cheats" you listed above are the possibilities to unlock content only available through cheats when in the main menu, like some special tracks and characters. That's a great feature to have for the most curious users who will find out how to use this trick, but I don't see the community working on content that will only be available to hardcore gamers that would have browsed a cheat wiki to find about the hidden contents, so I guess it won't happen either.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Arthur » 23 Jul 2016, 22:59

In addition to artist debug mode, you can unlock stuff and do a lot of other changes just by editing a few XML files. Cheat codes should not be front and center in any game really, or they should probably rethink their game design if cheats are necessary to make a game fun.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur