When exported, materials.xml is blank

When exported, materials.xml is blank

Postby DrPyspy » 28 May 2015, 03:45

This happens with every kart model I try to export. When I look at the exported materials.xml, it is pretty much blank. Am I not assigning textures correctly or is this a common issue?

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- Generated with script from SVN rev Unknown -->
<materials>
</materials>
DrPyspy

Re: When exported, materials.xml is blank

Postby Anon » 28 May 2015, 04:29

I've run into bugs where material properties aren't fully exported before, but they've all been fixed relatively quickly after I report them. Judging based off of the lack of recent work in the media repository, I'd say that the current version of scripts probably works.

How are you assigning your materials? Obviously, STK's render engine is different from both Blender Internal and Cycles, so any materials or textures assigned in the "Material" or "Texture" tabs of Blender's properties panel will be ignored by the exporter.

Images are specified per face using face textures (the images that are shown in the 3d viewport's "Textured" preview if your shading is set to "Multitexture"). To do this, select your (unwrapped) face in edit mode and choose an image in the image editor. Material properties are then specified per image using the "STK Image Properties" section under the properties panel's "Scene" tab.

There's a section on the material options in the new Track Maker's Guide. I'm not sure how complete or comprehensive it is though.
Anon

Postby DrPyspy » 28 May 2015, 04:40

Anon {l Wrote}:I've run into bugs where material properties aren't fully exported before, but they've all been fixed relatively quickly after I report them. Judging based off of the lack of recent work in the media repository, I'd say that the current version of scripts probably works.

I'm exporting with the current version of the tools, I'm pretty sure.

Anon {l Wrote}:Material properties are then specified per image using the "STK Image Properties" section under the properties panel's "Scene" tab.

Nothing shows up for me under the STK Image Properties section, it's all blank except for the "Select an image" box.

I think I might have screwed up something somewhere. When I try to export a track, it gives me an error that says "Please specify a code". Are my tools just completely broken?
DrPyspy

Postby Anon » 28 May 2015, 04:51

DrPyspy {l Wrote}:Are my tools just completely broken?

Nah. That's just an error message that it shows when you haven't filled in the "Codename" box. You can find it under "Track Properties" (or something to that effect). AFAICT, it just determines what the exporter will name your track's folder on export (e.g. stk-assets/tracks/chocolate)

Nothing shows up under STK Image Properties because you haven't selected an image. Basically, the "images" in STK's materials system are equivalent to the "Materials" in Blender, in that you specify shading properties per "image" and choose which image each face uses. So the "Select an image" box lets you choose which image's shading properties you're currently editing.

The image list is the same (or should be the same for most purposes... libraries might have messed some things up a bit) as the list of images you can find in Blender's image editor. So you'll have to load your image textures into Blender before you can assign them to faces and specify their material properties.

EDIT: One more thing: make sure that you've enabled all of the STK addons. There's a screenshot showing the list, as well as a text list, on the wiki.
Anon

Postby DrPyspy » 28 May 2015, 09:28

Anon {l Wrote}:Nothing shows up under STK Image Properties because you haven't selected an image. Basically, the "images" in STK's materials system are equivalent to the "Materials" in Blender, in that you specify shading properties per "image" and choose which image each face uses. So the "Select an image" box lets you choose which image's shading properties you're currently editing.

The image list is the same (or should be the same for most purposes... libraries might have messed some things up a bit) as the list of images you can find in Blender's image editor. So you'll have to load your image textures into Blender before you can assign them to faces and specify their material properties.

I have some textures loaded into Blender, but they don't show up in the "Select an image" box.

These are the textures I have loaded.

If it means anything, I haven't had problems with any of the previous STK tools until I downloaded the new 0.9 tools.
DrPyspy

Postby Anon » 28 May 2015, 23:45

Hum. I don't think I've ever run into this issue before. TBH, I haven't updated (or used) my scripts in a number of months as well, so I wouldn't know if it's a newly introduced problem. Your best bet at this point might be to open an issue on the github, or maybe ask samuncle or Auria on IRC if you'd prefer realtime interaction.

https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-code/issues
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=stk&uio=d4
Anon

Postby Auria » 02 Jun 2015, 01:09

Maybe you could share your blend so we can take a look?
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 02 Jun 2015, 03:31

Auria {l Wrote}:Maybe you could share your blend so we can take a look?

Hmm - not sure if I am mixing up something - but I think this was discussed on irc recently, and the reason was that the textures were not in the same directory as the .blend file (and some issues with .b3d exporter being disabled).

So I think this issue is fixed.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker